School has started for the semester. I have to say I am already so stressed out! I think the longer I do school the more I worry about it. I have one class on Neurology, mostly dysarthria. (a problem in the muscles used for communication), it usually happens after a stroke or brain injury. Anyway, that should be an interesting class. The teacher is really fun to listen too and is apart of the clinic setting instead of academia so the things she says are a little easier to follow and she emphasizes the more clinically relevant items.
I'm a little more stressed about my clinic assignments. I will be working with a stroke patient who is aphasic and is basically learning to speak again. ( if you want to know- Aphasia is different than dysarthria in the sense that aphasia is caused by a lesion in the brain that affects speech). This client has been coming to the clinic for a while and is doing really well but I still feel like I have no idea what to do. It's a little scary but I'll just take it one day at a time and I think it will be fun. I also have an adult language group. This is a group of seniors that have minor language problems or dementia. I'm kind of excited about that one. My last clinic assignment is with a 14 year old child that has hearing aids who has language goals. This week I am doing all the assessment to figure out what our goals will be for the semester and then we'll go from there. My brain is on overload trying to remember all the things I need to do and sort out, hopefully It will be a fun semester.

4 comments:
Don't worry, I'm stressed out too... but I know you'll do great!
That's cool what your doing, just think when you're all done..it will have been worth it. I am glad you are doing what you are doing, it kinda gives me a mindset that things are possible(school with kids) Inspiration and Motivation that's what I need..and you are someone to look at for that. Thanx Misty-
Wow, that sounds like it could be a crazy semster! Good luck! I know you are awesome at what you do. You'll have no problem! Keep your chin up.
Hey you punk! Answer your phone so we can hang out while I'm up here. :)
Post a Comment